Vital Records Online
How do you obtain vital records online?
Click on the GovPayNet link below to request and pay for vital records information on-line. ** Please note prior to entering an online payment that records will be on file in Vermilion County ONLY if the event occurred in Vermilion County. Availability of records prior to 1916 is dependent on whether or not the record was filed in this office. Please call or e-mail this office to confirm record availability PRIOR to entering your payment.
Please note that when choosing the online payment option for a birth, death, or marriage/civil union record, you must do the following:
- Complete the on-line request form with payment information.
- Fax or e-mail a signed request which includes the name(s) exactly as listed on the requested record, the date of occurrence, and, if requesting a birth record, the parents’ names.
- Fax or e-mail a copy of identification with the signed request.
If you do not supply us with necessary documentation within three (3) business days of submitting payment, your order will be cancelled.
(Click here for information on who may obtain a birth record and/or a marriage/civil union record.)
Acceptable identification is listed below.
State issued identification must be front and back
if there is a renewal sticker on the back with expiration date.
You may fax the request/identification to (217) 554-1914 or e-mail to: email@example.com
Note: All vital records (birth certificate, death certificate and marriage license) are not public records, and therefore are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
The Vermilion County Clerk now accepts credit and debit card payments through GovPayNet. Payments can be made with a major credit, debit or pre-paid debit or gift card, including:
GovPayNet will not process some government issued debit cards.
Acceptable forms of Identification to obtain Vital Records
One of the following:
- llinois Driver’s License
- Illinois State Identification Card
- Out-Of-State Driver’s License or State Identification Card
- US Government Driver’s License
- Naturalization Certification
- US Military Identification Card
- US Immigration Card
- Selective Service Card
- Matricula Card issued by the Mexican Consulate
If you have none of the above mentioned identification, any 2 documents from the list below are acceptable (must be 2 different documents)
- Social Security card or printout
- Current Voter Registration Card
- Photo Work Identification Card
- Traffic Ticket
- Resident Alien Card
- School Identification Card
- Checkbook or Savings Book (showing name and address)
- Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID)
- Bank Statement (within the past 90 days)
- Utility Bill (within the past 60 days)
- Active Insurance Policy
- Vehicle Registration Card
- Current Lease or Rental Agreement
- Current 1st Class Mail
- Jail Discharge Papers (Requires Approval)
All documents presented must be current and/or valid.
$19.00 for the first copy of a birth record.
$8.00 for each additional copy of a birth record
When purchased at the same time
$15.00 for the first copy of a marriage / civil union record
$8.00 for each additional copy of marriage / civil union
when purchased at the same time
$23.00 for the first copy of a death record
$12.00 for each additional copy of a death record
when purchased at the same time
An additional fee for using your debit/credit card will be charged by Gov Pay Net based on the amount of your order.
Do NOT add the fee to your total. This will be done automatically by GovPayNet.
Fee Schedule is as follows:
|$0 – $50.00||$1.50|
|$50.01 – $75.00||$1.75|
|$75.01 – $100.00||$3.00|
|$101.01 – $150.00||$5.00|
|$151.01 – $200.00||$7.00|
For orders over $200.00, please contact us for the fee.
All orders will be shipped via 1st class postage unless otherwise requested.
If you were adopted, your birth certificate remains in the county where you were born. Persons adopted in Vermilion County will only have a birth record in Vermilion County if the birth occurred here.
Any person who with the intention to deceive, willfully uses or attempts to use any certificate of birth or certified copy of a record of birth knowing that such certificate or certified copy was issued upon a record that is false in whole or in part or that relates to the birth of another person, is guilty of a Class 4 felony in the state of Illinois.
Please remember to E-mail or Fax all signed vital records requests and identification to:
Fax: (217) 554-1914