Orders of Protection

An Order of Protection can be obtained in two ways:

  1. If a criminal case is filed against the abuser by the State’s Attorney’s Office, the State’s Attorney’s Office with the assistance of Crosspoint at the Y will assist you in completing the necessary paperwork for an Order of Protection. You will need to come to the Vermilion County State’s Attorney’s Office to meet with our office and prepare the paperwork at no charge.
  2. 2. If a criminal case has not been filed, you may:
    1. Go to the Circuit Clerk and ask for a Civil Order of Protection Packet.
      You may represent yourself (pro se) and the Clerk is not able to give legal advice.
    2. Hire a private attorney to represent you for the Order of Protection.
    3. Call Crosspoint at the Y at (217)446-1217 and a court advocate will assist you in obtaining a Civil Order of Protection. She will accompany you to court and there is no charge for the service.

Crosspoint at the Y