Crime Victim Compensation
To receive compensation, you (or your family member) must:
- Be a victim of a crime that happened in Illinois
- Report the crime or file an Order of Protection
- Cooperate with the police, courts and the Crime Victims Compensation Program
- File the claim within 2 years of the crime
- Not be involved in illegal activity that caused the crime to happen
There are exceptions to the above requirements (especially if the victim is younger than 18 years old).
This program will not reimburse you for:
- Pain and suffering
- Stolen or damaged property
Please note: the overall maximum award shall not exceed $27,000, however monetary limits apply to most benefits.
The Attorney General’s Office is unable to accept online applications at this time. Please download, print and submit a paper version of the application and mail to:
Illinois Attorney General – Kwame Raoul
Crime Victims Compensation Program
100 W. Randolph Street – 13th Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
If you applied online on or after April 10, 2021, you will need to download, print, and submit a paper application to the above address.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please contact 1-800-228-3368 with questions.